Saturday, October 20, 2007

Holidays


Well my holidays are over... Back to work. Oh but wait we are going to the beach for work. Yipeeee. I'll let you know how that goes later this week.

Anyway yeah so Eid was fun. Everyone gets all dressed up and hits the streets to strut their stuff. Okay maybe no struts their stuff but they definitely go out to celebrate and eat and eat and eat. From what I understand people go from house to house and eat special Eid foods. Well we only went to two houses.. and I couldn't eat another thing. We went to Shamim's (my supervisor) and to Akhter's (a trainer from BWCCI). The next day we went to Ruba's house (a member and a board member). Too much food. Too much. The city was totally different from regular Dhaka. So much more quieter and no tension. It was nice.



There was also a Hindu holiday this week. Durga Pooja. Akhter and his girls took us to two temples, one at a small University and one at Dhaka University. The smaller of the two felt like a rural village in the middle of chaotic Dhaka. We also popped into a University Professor's house for some sweets. (photo)



I have been dying for a serious touristy day. The kind where someone takes you around and you don't have to struggle for rickshaws or CNGs and you can take all the cheesy touristy shots that you want. This was a pretty good tourist day. The two temples and New Market. New Market is this huge shopping market in Old Dhaka... and we were soooooo lucky that it was still Eid holidays and it wasn't crazy crazy busy as it is normally. Apparently you get shoved and it is so packed the only way to move is to be pushed.

The second temple on Dhaka University grounds was packed. Almost as busy as the Skydome when the Yanks come to town.

OOoooh... and I took local transit for the first time- A bus… yeah.. In the words of Larry Dawson- I took it TWICE... My 1st and my last. Actually it wasn’t that bad.. besides the man who got on after me stroked my shoulder 3 times on his 2 minute ride!!

WARNING-- For all you squeamish girls.... LOOK AWAY. LOOK FAR FAR AWAY!


I happened to come across this fellow in my bathroom at 3:30 in the AM.. Half a can of spray and 8 hours later.. he surrendered. Or maybe it was a She and her babies will learn a lesson and not come in my room. Largest thing I have seen! Shuddering now thinking about it.

No funny rickshaw stories to update you on... but something that has amused me lately. People here are extremely curious as to why you are in Bangladesh and where you come from. Typical question- “You’re country ma’am?” I have this thing of making them guess... here are the responses in order of the number of times they come up- JAPAN, UK, Australia, France, Sweden,Germany, Iran, and Saudi Arabia --- They usually get frustrated and I have to tell them. Canada just never gets enough credit. Oh and apparently I am also in the Peace Corps.



I wish I was the man in the boat. So chill.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Word Up- Keep It Real Girlfriend

Anonymous said...

Hi Ash!! Hey, you're looking pretty good for a "bedeshi"?? Did I get it right? If not, oh well, I just guessed! It almost sounds like you are starting to enjoy your stay there and the pictures are looking more like touristy pictures. You seem to be fitting into society there better or else you don't tell us about your anti-social encounters as much. I think that is good! Now, it's time to get to work. Enjoy, but it seems like I don't have to tell you that!! Take care--Love Aunt Cathy & Uncle Al

Scott said...

...not that there's anything wrong with being in the Peace Corps!

Michelle said...

OMG you need better warnings that roach is soooooo gross. i dont know how you do it. also i think that you took my black low heeled shoes with the leather gathered at the toe, cause i went to wear mine and they are really big feeling or my feet got skinnery

Anonymous said...

Umm..ok you and Karina look fantastic. I was telling Jen the other day that we should get R&R for our hardship posting...well lookswise at least. My hair is a frizzball...and my pants have already developed holes in them from the hand washing. (Did I mention you have to iron everything that gets hung to dry outside....because of mango fly larvae? (FUN TIMES...although someone does the ironing for us..thank god!) Your lovely photo of the giant cockroad inspired me to buy a big can of bug killer. I have only seen two bugs so far..but the short rains are coming..and so are the giant assed bugs. Take care and tell K I said hello :)

natalie said...

haa - a few things -
1) Cucarachas are hard mother f'ers to kill. You gotta beat em with a shampoo bottle or something.

2) haha - man in the boat. so chill.

3) haha - scott's comment. i make fun of the peace corp kids here. to their faces.